Friday, June 19, 2009

When life feels perfect...





What is the secret to happiness? Well, I think I might have found it here in Oaxaca. I think it’s the right combination of lovely weather, beautiful surroundings, fresh food, yoga (or fill in your favorite hobby here), Spanish (fill in favorite hobby #2 here), good people, free time, and purpose (for me, my thesis research).

Spanish and my Research Project: I spent two weeks studying Spanish at Instituto Cultural de Oaxaca (ICO) but am excited to start private Spanish tutoring next week. This way, I can fit my Spanish classes around my interviews. Next week I’m starting my first batch of interviews with a women’s weaving cooperative. They’re participated in a lot of other studies and I had a really interesting meeting with them earlier this week. I was expecting to meet just the founder but instead, in a true cooperative fashion, I met with all the women of the group. I explained my project and how I hope to work with them. What was really interesting was at this point each woman was asked what she thought—and I might note that they all spoke in Zapotec so that I wouldn’t understand. The conversation however was smattered with Spanish and I was at least picking up a few words here and there. The groups founder than told me two things: 1) Many times people come and do research with them and they always say they will send the results but rarely do; 2) The interviews will take a lot of time and in exchange she would like to see if I could set up a talk/sale/something to help get the word out about their products when I get back to WY. What is amazing to me was how truly cooperative both these ideas were. Not only was each member of the group asked to give her own opinion on the project but that the final ideas that they decided upon were all about cooperating equally with me: they volunteer their time for me and I volunteer my time for them. A beautiful relationship I hope will emerge! The women were also happy to hear that no question was obligatory and that I could leave a set of questions for them to review ahead of time. I wish I could see how they ended up talking about all these questions (right now there are a LOT!) and what conclusions they end up coming to. Maybe I will find out next Wednesday when I have my first three interviews.


FOOD! Why does food taste better when you buy it in an outdoor market? I suspect in many cases it isn’t even any different than the grocery store veggies, but somehow it tastes better. Maybe its about seasonality. With the obvious exception of the apples (I’m pretty sure they don’t grow any apples in Mexico) some of the fruits and vegetables are definitely local. For example, right now is not orange seasons and therefore almost no one has any oranges. Although I love to eat oranges, this fact makes me happy! That means that what is selling it’s what is in season right now, right here in Mexico – not shipped from the far corners of the earth. So anyway, that’s my guess as to why the food tastes so good, feels healthier (which is obviously a figment of my imagination) and just makes me happy. Not to mention the organic goat cheese and coffee, and the homemade yogurt. I’m sure Dan would add amazing tacos and the famous Oaxacan string cheese, quesillo, to the list… Buen provecho!


YOGA – OK, I just want to give a plug to my favorite mew website: www.yogadownload.com. Their audio

classes (with PDF pose guides you can check out before you begin to make sure you’re familiar with all the poses) are fantastic! If you want to test it out before you actually buy any, I strongly suggest you download this free/donation class (intermediate/advanced level) and give it a shot: http://www.yogadownload.com/view-product.asp?idpr=725 It is sweat inducing but energizing – I love it! Once you try this class, I think you’ll be sold on this website. And they’re based in Denver (close to home for you Laramie peeps!).


WEATHER – For those who know me, you know how I am obsessed with great weather. I hate the cold, like a lot of sunshine, and don’t mind if the air is nice and dry too. Oaxaca definitely isn’t cold, the sun is strong and even though it’s the rainy season it rarely feels humid. I think it has something to do with the fact that we’re close to 5200 ft. above sea level. Perfection…


GOOD PEOPLE – Can there ever be true happiness without good friends? Andy and Blanca, who are renting us our bungalow are the nicest people in the world. Not only have they helped us with everything, they are a lot of fun and really interesting!

Our friend Donald, who goes to ICO has taken us on two adventures thus far and we have another one coming up tomorrow. Two Sunday’s ago we went to Tlacolula to their weekly huge market. Last week we went to San Agustin de Etla, which has an amazing art museum, that is itself a piece of art, and followed it up with a relaxing afternoon at a balneario (swimming pool club up in the mountains!). Tomorrow we head to Hierve el Agua, a petrified waterfall with cool mineral pools for swimming. Fun!

2 comments:

Sari Anderson said...

It sounds like you and Dan are having so much fun! I also download free podcasts of yoga classes if you're looking for something different. Love ya!

Unknown said...

Kashmira and Dan! So great to hear about your latest adventures! I wish I was with you (though you are probably home now) but will settle for vicarious. I am curious about your thesis Kash. It sounds fascinating. Your español must be quite bueno by now. Mine is slipping... but I'll start classes in the fall. Take care, and I hope to see you someday again in a tropical, happy place!
Jenny Boyce